Monday, March 14, 2016

Results

I have a bit of catching up to do.  I have completely lost track of what "day" this would be and lack the motivation to figure it out.  What I can tell you is that my first Whole30 ended roughly 6 weeks ago and before getting into how I'm doing now I'll begin with a little recap.

About 3 weeks into the program my wife and I really feel into the groove.  We were both feeling really good, sleeping well, we were craving free, and really cruising through the program and beginning to think that this way of eating could become our new normal.  Then Day 30 began to approach and something very strange happened.  I began getting nervous about what was going to happen after we were done.  The schedule of reintroducing food began to sound daunting but I knew that I couldn't just stay on the Whole30 indefinitely; I was going to have a damn beer at some point, but how do I proceed.

It turns out that the rigid rule structure of the the Whole30 that sounded so strange and difficult at first, began to give me comfort.  It gave me a guide on what to eat, when to eat, and more importantly it took away some of my "food guilt".  I don't know where this food guilt came from but I definitely felt it when I starting eating more meat than I was used to and generally larger portion sizes of vegetables as well.  It could stem from the old adage that if you want to weigh less you need to eat less, which the Whole30 unequivocally debunked as total bullshit.  Eat less crap, sure, but no one ever got morbidly obese because they ate too many carrots!

The results of my first Whole30 were amazing.  It was so much more than just losing weight.  I really believe that the weight loss was secondary effect of generally being more healthy.  If you have been reading this blog you are probably sick of hearing me say, I sleep better, no long have acid reflux, feeling slimmer, have more energy, better blood pressure, no more headaches, etc., and would like me to cut the crap and get to the weight loss.  The thing is, the weight loss is the crap, who cares?  If you feel great, and think you look great, then what the heck does it matter what the bathroom scale says?  But it always seems that the weight loss is either the first or the second question that anyone asks.  It really isn't a secret but I want to stress that the results are so much more than a number on a scale.  My Day 31 weigh-in concluded that I had lost 11 pounds and I couldn't have been happier.  30 days of eating good food, not being hungry, and adding absolutely zero additional exercise outside of my normal and I lost 11 pounds.

I'll catch you up on my progress since in my next post.  ...and yes, it does involve beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment