Monday, January 4, 2016

Day 1 - The Beginning

Introduction

Today I began my first Whole30.  If you don't know what Whole30 is the simplest way to find out is to google it, but basically you cut out 4 main things from your diet for a minimum of 30 days:

  1. Alcohol
  2. Dairy
  3. Grains
  4. Added Sugar
There are other foods that are prohibited, (beans/legumes, chips, popcorn, etc.), and other foods that are not recommended (fruit juice) but this won't be a blog about a list of foods you can't have.  If you want to learn more, google it, or even better, buy the Whole30 book.

Why would I want to do this you may be asking, and my answer is somewhat simple.  I have acid, a lot of acid, I regularly have to take antacids to sleep and sometime the acid wakes me up in the middle of the night and I have to take more.  All these antacids wreck havoc on my digestive system and are probably not good for my kidney stones.  I'd do just about anything to never have stones again, they've put me in the ER twice.  I'm 34, fat (5'10" 224 lbs), have acid issues, and kidney stones, and I have a feeling my food choices aren't the best.

The purpose of this blog is my outlet to rant, and possibly rave, about my trials and tribulations of the next 30 days or so.  Luckily, I have an awesome, supporting wife who is doing this with me.

Day 1 (Monday)

The difference between Day 1 and Day 0 is significant.  I've been easing my way into this over the past few weeks but now its real, no more leeway, its here.

I had already cut out milk and have been eating breakfast everyday and my acid problems are pretty much completely gone.  It'll be interesting to see if it was the milk or the eating at night (between 8-9pm) that was the culprit there.  The whole, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, thing may have some truth to it.  Not having heartburn all the time has really pumped me up for this challenge.

Today's food:
Breakfast: bell pepper and onion scramble, black coffee
Lunch: butternut squash soup with chicken, some almonds, and an orange.
Dinner: pulled pork carnitas with guacamole and salsa on some romaine lettuce "boats"

The soup and pull pork I prepared on Saturday to get me and my wife through our busy Monday and Tuesday.  Tonight I'm headed to a college basketball game with my dad and as long as I stay away from the concession stands, I'll should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment