Sunday, January 10, 2016

Day 7 - The Dam

Day 7, in a few short hours I will have completed the first full week of the Whole30 program.  I have a couple quick updates tonight.

  1. The "Flood" has turned into the "Dam".  The book states that constipation is common and normal and well, I guess I'm a common/normal kinda guy.  Hopefully this too shall pass, smoothly, and pain free.  A good poo can't be over-rated.
  2. For pretty much my entire adult life I have had borderline hyper-tension.  High blood pressure runs in my family but even so, I have flat refused to do any medication for it.  It's borderline, whatever.  BUT tonight I checked my blood pressure at home for Ss&Gs.  (And yes, its borderline enough that I have a BP cuff at home but I'm not taking medication.)   Tonight my BP was 111/80, which is the lowest I ever remember it being. For reference, Doctors are typically looking for 120/80.  I'm not saying that the Whole30 has lowered my BP to healthy levels, but my BP cuff certainly is!  This is huge in my book, BP medication scares me.
No new food today, I've been chomping on leftovers but my wife did show me how to use our new food spiralizer.  I used to to help her make the Thai salad recipe that I'll be having for lunch tomorrow.

Week 2 starts tomorrow.  It also happens to be the time where most people that fail to complete the Whole30 quit/falter.  I'm in good spirits, Week 2 is going down.



Quick word on clarified butter, it's awesome.  It doesn't burn easily like normal butter and it's super easy to make.  Just simmer regular unsalted butter for a few minutes and the milk solids float up to the surface.  Skim these off then pour the butter over cheese cloth and what you have left is beautiful clarified butter.

Warm clarified butter just after straining.

This is the skimmed off milk solids, yum.

Cooled clarified butter that can be stored in or out of the refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment