Saturday, January 9, 2016

Day 6 - The Feast

Day 6 ended with a feast!  My wife and I ended our day with BBQ ribs, butternut squash puree, and a cauliflower mash.  It was delicious and Whole30 approved!

What's even more exciting is that the "Flood" has...receded?  In other words, I'm pooping better.  The Flood lasted for a few days while my system got used to things.  The first real craving hit the other night as well.   The night of Day 4 was rough, I had a terrible craving for potato chips.  This was a skin crawling, itchy all over, full out attack.  The only other time I have experienced this was when I was quitting smoking.  One good thing is that, after a few hours of sleep, the attack had passed.  Another, is that now I know that this diet is working by how badly my mind is playing tricks on me.  Skin crawling for potato chip? That can't be right.

Since that craving attack I've been sailing through this program.  I'm starting to feel better, I'm sleeping better, and my pants seem to be a little bit bigger than I remember.  I'm sure I'm in for another fall at some point but I'm riding this for as long as I can.

New Food

Breakfast Sausage (revisited) - with a bit of help from Alton Brown's recipe.  The recipe in the book needed some spice so I added some thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and some red pepper flakes and it was much better.
Baby Back Ribs with Tangy BBQ Sauce - good, but next time we will cook them lower and slower in the oven to get that fall-off-the-bone tenderness.  Great spice in this dish though.
Butternut Squash Puree - very good as a side dish or as a soup of sorts
Cauliflower Mash - a bit strange for me.  I liked the mixture of both the butternut and the cauliflower
Sweet Potato Soup - I made a double batch of this for lunches.  I just made it basic for the first time but there is a tip for a more savory variation that I'll try next time.

Riding high for now, I'll check back in later.

No comments:

Post a Comment